d e s m o n d c k w ◦ p h o t o g r a p h y

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hanoi, Vietnam (Part I)

Vietnam's National Flag

This is my second visit to Hanoi, Vietnam. For those who have never been to Hanoi, I would recommend Halong Bay, Tam Coc, and of course some local museums like Ho Chi Minh Museum, Vietnam Military History Museum, etc. Perhaps some who are into religion, there are a lot of local temples too. The few temples that I visited are Temple of LiteratureOne Pillar Pagoda and Quan Thanh Temple.

I am a Christian myself so I visited the church also which is the Saint Joseph Cathedral Church. It was built in 1886 and still holds several masses throughout the day.

Saint Joseph Cathedral Church

Besides the church, I spent most of my time walking around the streets in Hoan Kiem District or better known as Hanoi Old Quarter.

Hanoi Old Quarter

Hanoi Old QuarterHanoi Old Quarter

As you are walking around, you'll definitely see a lot of electricity pillars with all the tangled cables.


The main transportation around Old Quarter are motorbikes, bicycles, taxis and buses. I would not recommend taxis as there are a lot of taxi scams here, so be careful if you are taking one.






By the way, I was staying at Hanoi Charming Hotel located at Yen Thai Street. I would strongly recommend this hotel because of its services and their helpfulness. I've stayed twice myself. There is a market at Yen Thai Street every morning selling meats, vegetables, foods, etc.

Yen Thai Street

Yen Thai Street

Yen Thai Street

If you are planning to buy souvenirs, there are a lot being sold at Hang Gai Street



Lastly, the people. Hanoi people are friendly and hospitable. Seldom you will find people selling things or foods at unreasonably high prices especially to tourists. However, you may find some quite aggressive sellers  who are carrying their things walking around the streets like the first photo below.



That's all for the sharing in part I. I'll be sharing photos of food in Hanoi in my next post. So stay tune !

0 comments:

Post a Comment